New Montessori Charter School In Old Pompano Beach
“Our care of the child should be governed, not by the desire to make him learn things, but by the endeavor always to keep burning within him that light which is called intelligence.” -Dr. Maria Montessori
We need your help with the final stages of approval for a new K-8 Montessori Charter School in Pompano Beach. Pompano Beach has put the education of our youth at the bottom of their priority list for years resulting in the worst performance of students in years. The average grade for the public elementary schools in all of Pompano Beach is a 1.5/4.0 – D for 2014 and 2.0/4.0 – C for 2013. We deserve better! The city is undergoing redevelopment and renovation and Green Children’s House is a part of that growth.
- Come to the City Commissioner meeting on September 8th at 6pm at the City Hall Commissioner Chamber to voice your support.
- Call Mayor Lamar Fisher and our City Commissioners.
- Email our mayor and city commissioners: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Barry.firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Ed.Phillips@copbfl.com; Rex.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters of support from our community:
On June 24, 2015 Planning and Zoning voted 5 to 1 against the rezoning. One board member, Dwight Evans, voted in favor of the text amendment needed to allow a school on this property. The Old Pompano Beach residents said they don’t want a school in their community. They want it is remain single family residence and to keep the area Historic. The City of Pompano Beach staff and CRA do not support it because it is located in the Historic Pompano Beach Community and not in the plan for the future land use plan.
Pros to having a Montessori school in Old Pompano Beach
- In the Transit Oriented Corridor. Local families can walk to school.
- Quality schools increase home values and welcome new families to the neighborhood
- Stronger police presence, resulting in a safer neighborhood.
- Drive out crime since it is more costly to do crime in school zone area
- Increase utilization of Founders Park to drive out homeless.
- Local PB Elementary is failing for two years in a row.
- Surrounded by a Medical Center, Local park, Women’s Center and residences and Multi-residential town homes.
- First Innovative, Green, Montessori school to be presented in Pompano Beach
- A real solution to our failing schools slated.
New Montessori Charter School
- Free tuition for K-8th grade
- 17 classrooms
- Proposed maximum capacity of 335 students
- Montessori and STEM curriculum
- Art, Science, Yoga/Meditation, Conference rooms
- Outdoor classrooms and Green houses
- Direct outdoor access for 1 st floor classrooms
- Swimming pool and sports court
- On site cafeteria to promote healthy eating
- 20,000 sqft LEED Platinum State of the Art Facility
- Increase utilization of area parks
- Carbon-free zone to encourage walking and biking to school
- Drop off location on 1st Street at Green Children’s House Private school to reduce traffic in Old Pompano Neighborhood
- Zoned in the Downtown Transited Orientated Corridor, see map.